[Haskell-cafe] Problems with square root...

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Wed Dec 21 19:45:23 EST 2005

Mark Goldman wrote:
> nitpicky detail:
> () <- Parenthesis
> {} <- Braces
> [] <- Brackets
> Sorry to be pedantic, but using the wrong terminology confuses me and
> I'm sure others as well.

Being pedantic can be fun :)

The Macquarie Dictionary, which is the official dictionary in Australia, 
says that () are brackets. It says that they are "also called" 
parentheses or a "round bracket", if you need to distinguish between 
them and square brackets [], curly brackets {}, or angle brackets <>, 
and the definition for parenthesis is "the upright brackets ()".

Also, I believe, UK English (and International English) uses the term 
brackets that way, but I'd have to check online to make sure; I don't 
have a UK dictionary on me right this minute.

      /\/`) http://oooauthors.org
     /\/_/  http://opendocumentfellowship.org
    \/_/    I am not over-weight, I am under-tall.

More information about the Haskell-Cafe mailing list