[Haskell-cafe] Problems with square root...

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Wed Dec 21 19:45:23 EST 2005

Mark Goldman wrote:
> nitpicky detail:
>
> () <- Parenthesis
> {} <- Braces
> [] <- Brackets
>
> Sorry to be pedantic, but using the wrong terminology confuses me and
> I'm sure others as well.

Being pedantic can be fun :)

The Macquarie Dictionary, which is the official dictionary in Australia,
says that () are brackets. It says that they are "also called"
parentheses or a "round bracket", if you need to distinguish between
them and square brackets [], curly brackets {}, or angle brackets <>,
and the definition for parenthesis is "the upright brackets ()".

Also, I believe, UK English (and International English) uses the term
brackets that way, but I'd have to check online to make sure; I don't
have a UK dictionary on me right this minute.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://oooauthors.org