[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tutorial uploaded

Udo Stenzel u.stenzel at web.de
Wed Dec 21 12:48:34 EST 2005

Donn Cave wrote:
> Meanwhile, that fellow evidently didn't write any compiler in Haskell
> at all.  Better a C++ program than a Haskell program that offends you?

Oh no, he actually wrote something disgusting built mostly out of
regexes in Perl.  I don't think it even works, and I don't think I
could have convinced him to Do The Right Thing in whatever language.

But that's besides the point.  The conviction that a parser or lexer or
prettyprinter means IO is simply wrong, and imho a tutorial should show how
much is purely functionally possible before introducing control flow,
mutable variables and all the other ugliness.  It's more productive this
way.

Udo.
--
Slous' Contention:
        If you do a job too well, you'll get stuck with it.