[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tutorial uploaded

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Wed Dec 21 12:16:10 EST 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Udo Stenzel wrote:
[... re pitfalls of IO for the beginner ]
> Here's another one:  I've heard a fellow claim, Haskell is basically
> unsuitable to implement a compiler, because Haskell is weak at IO and
> "everything needs IO, the lexer, the preprocessor, the parser, the
> pretty-printer, ..."  Can you imagine what convoluted mess he would
> write if he learned IO first?

I wouldn't be too worried.  If these things really must be learned in
some prescribed order, then we're all doomed - who here learned
Haskell as their first programming language?

Meanwhile, that fellow evidently didn't write any compiler in Haskell
at all.  Better a C++ program than a Haskell program that offends you?

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com