[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tutorial uploaded

Udo Stenzel u.stenzel at web.de
Wed Dec 21 09:48:41 EST 2005

Robin Green wrote:
> I meant that for *many* but not all
> practical programming tasks, IO is important.
> ...web applications...

Ha, wrong!  A CGI script only needs getEnv, getContents and putStr, if
it has persistent state, it also needs readFile and writeFile.  Each of
the five is called exactly once per invocation.  The main function is
boiler plate, the bulk of the logic is pure.  Same for a web application
server, only less IO.

> Compilers are atypical in this regard.

You wouldn't believe what diverse applications could be summed up under
"compilers".

Udo.
--
If I ever write a GUI library for Haskell, I'm going to call it
pointlesstif.