[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tutorial uploaded

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Wed Dec 21 09:42:51 EST 2005

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
>>If people want Haskell to be treated as a practical language, not just
>>something for doing academic teaching and research with, it should be
>>taught as a practical language - which means that things like IO and
>>space/time usage come to the forefront.
>
> So programming is only practical if it's deals with a lot of I/O?

No, that's not what I meant at all. I meant that for *many* but not all
practical programming tasks, IO is important. Games, GUI office
applications, database applications, web applications, etc.

Compilers are atypical in this regard. Something that is perceived as
being only useful for a compilers and a few other academic-ish things
isn't going to be perceived as very practically useful.
--
Robin