[Haskell-cafe] Proposal for a first tutorial.

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Tue Dec 20 18:44:57 EST 2005

John Meacham wrote:
> Even though I know this to be true, whenever I encounter a form like
> this on the web I just immediatly press 'back' unless I am specifically
> looking for what I know is behind it. It is not for any particular
> ideological reasons, it is just my default action and I think it is for
> many other people too. In particular, I would immediatly just go to the
> next tutorial on the list when presented with such a page. I can't
> really defend it with any particular reasoning, I am just saying it how
> it is.

At a minimum, there are usability reasons why the vast majority of
people will tend to do that exactly. I don't have the reference on me
right now, but I read this in a usability book called "Don't make me
Think" :) It's very good.

The case becomes even stronger when the particular form is asking you
for something you might consider personal information. My first reaction
is that it's none of their business and makes me want to go elsewhere.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://oooauthors.org