[Haskell-cafe] Can't Haskell catch up with Clean's uniqueness typing?

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Thu Dec 8 14:29:44 EST 2005

> > > Clean-like _explicit_ uniqueness typing is not what I'm asking for in Haskell.
> >
> > So you want implicit, automatically inferred uniqueness typing -
> > something that would be even more fragile and sensitive then current
> > Haskell's space problems arising from laziness? ;-)
> >

> Why should inferring uniqueness be all that fragile? A uniqueness checker can be
> rather robust, as is demonstrated by the Clean one.

Fragile could refer to the fact that a relatively small looking change
to your code could have a enormous impact on the runtime of the code
because you unknowningly changed a value from being used uniquely to
being used non-uniquely.

In clean, the annotations allow you to enforce the uniqueness, so this
change would be caught by the type-checker. But, if the uniqueness is
*only* inferred, then the user has to be very careful about ensuring
uniqueness if they want performance gains associated with it -- and
they have to do it without the help of the type-checker.

Having written a bit of clean code, I can say that it is very easy to
accidently un-uniquify things.

Jeremy Shaw.