[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] fptools mirror in darcs ready for testing

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Dec 8 10:56:22 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 11:20:43AM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> Certainly performance of the --partial tree seems good enough, though I
> don't like that I can't see the history for individual files.  I can't

Just to clarify, that limitation exists only when using --partial.

One thing we could do is put a tar.bz2 up periodically that contains a
full copy of the full history, which should be useful for core ghc
hackers such as yourself.  It should be faster than downloading the
20,000 patches individually.

OTOH, the pain of a get without --partial only has to be endured once
per person, and there are probably very few people that care about the
full history of things dating back before their own involvement.
(You'll have the full history, on a per-file basis, of things starting
from the date of the last snapshot and moving forward when using
--partial.)

And then there are also advantages to consider: with CVS, you can't get
history of things *at all* unless you have a live Internet connection,
and even then it doesn't preserve things such as renames.  With Darcs,
once you have a local repo, you can look at changelogs all you want
without ever having to hit the network.

> get browsing to work using Trac: with the full darcs repository it takes

I have never worked much with these web front-ends.  My understanding is
that Trac is probably not the most efficient front-end to darcs, as it
tries to put things in a more svn-like model.  I wonder if one of the
other frontends might be a better performer?

(But this is a question more for a darcs list, I guess.)

-- John