[Haskell-cafe] Learning Haskell

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 14:35:44 EST 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:58:45PM +0300, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> the third-priority problem is language itself. in particular, i hate
> Haskell school of imperative manipulations:
>
> x' <- readIORef x
> y' <- readIORef y
> writeIORef z (x'*y')

Some day you may thank for this verbosity, because it encourages
you do program in a purely functional way making your program more
friendly for SMP execution.

> i already sayed about lacking of OOP features.

Besides Haskell I also write in C++, and there I haven't yet found a
good use for deep subtyping hierarchies. Most of my class hierarchies
consist of a single abstract root and a group of concrete children.
These kind of OO is easily expressible even in Haskell 98.

> another weakness against Erlang and scripting languages is their more
> dynamic character which sometimes is more appropriate,

Then use those scripting languages! I don't want Haskell's semantics
to be "whatever is appropriate in this context".

Best regards
Tomasz