[Haskell-cafe] Learning Haskell

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Tue Dec 6 14:58:45 EST 2005

Hello Wolfgang,

>> so, in my feel, Haskell is better in areas where there is no standard
>> quick-and-dirty solutions and all languages are in equal conditions,
>> but it can't compete with Visual Basic in user interfaces, Erlang in
>> distributed processing, and Python in scripting

WJ> Well, I would say that this has nothing to do with the language as such but
WJ> with a current lack of certain libraries.  I even think that with appropriate
WJ> libraries, Haskell will often have advantages over the existing solutions.

of course, the main problem is libraries. the second problem is
frameworks (like Delphi, which i also love). the third-priority problem
is language itself. in particular, i hate Haskell school of imperative
manipulations:

x' <- readIORef x
y' <- readIORef y
writeIORef z (x'*y')

i already sayed about lacking of OOP features. another weakness
against Erlang and scripting languages is their more dynamic
character which sometimes is more appropriate, especially in
scripting, web pages and other applets

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com