[Haskell-cafe] How to use STArray?

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley at ldn.invesco.com
Fri Aug 26 03:14:59 EDT 2005

> From: Ketil Malde [mailto:ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no]
>
> Greg Buchholz <haskell at sleepingsquirrel.org> writes:
>
> > Diff arrays have an immutable interface, but rely on
> internal updates in
> > place to provide fast functional update operator //.
>
> While a cool concept, ISTR that somebody benchmarked these some time
> ago, and found the performance to be fairly poor in practice.  Has
> that changed lately, or am I just misremembering?

DiffArray certainly improved the execution time of my program (the execution
time was dominated by array updates, so no surprise there). I should have
said that I'm also concerned with space usage; I'd like to allocate the
arrays at the beginning and expect that to be all of the memory required, so
that's another reason to be interested in mutable arrays.

Alistair.

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this   message, and any
attachments, may contain confidential   and/or privileged material. It is
intended solely for the   person(s) or entity to which it is addressed. Any
review,   retransmission, dissemination, or taking of any action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other   than the
intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received  this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the   material from any computer.