[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] pros and cons of static typing andside effects ?

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 14:21:34 EDT 2005

On 8/17/05, Ralf Lammel <ralfla at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I don't even want this feature. :-)
> The point being that datatype declarations, *as such*, are explicit
> anyhow.
> Why bother about the explicit quantifiers then?
> Of course, in a language with inferred datatypes I would mind.
> That's an interesting question!
>
> I also wouldn't (yet?!) support this feature request
> because we will still confuse beginners, but that's just my feeling.

Really? I don't think that would confuse beginners at all. They
wouldn't care about the theory behind it they'd just think along the
lines of "internal and external type variables" or something like
that.

Anyway, it's not really needed if GADT becomes the norm, since that
syntax is quite understandable anyway.

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+46(0)736-818655