[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] pros and cons of static typing andside effects ?

Stefan Holdermans stefan at cs.uu.nl
Wed Aug 17 02:48:00 EDT 2005

Ralf,

> Technically this is trivial it seems. I think that some people
> consider this proposal a problem because typos (misspelled type
> parameters) immediately lead to the accidental exploration of a more
> advanced type-system feature and correspondingly more involved error
> messages. Of course, the type checker could perhaps consider adding
> "Did you really mean to ...?".

Well, okay, but as soon as the type checker starts to asking these
questions, I would immediately start adding the explicit quantifiers,
just to get rid of those annoying warning messages. ;) So one would we
also need to be able to control the behaviour of the type checker with
respect to these warnings by means of a compiler flag like
"fno-warn-on-implicit-existential-quantification". All of this is, of
course, still trivial. :)

Have we thought about it enough to make it a feature request?

Regards,

Stefan