[Haskell-cafe] hugs segmentation fault

Jon Fairbairn Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 28 19:12:35 EDT 2004

On 2004-10-29 at 00:03BST Ben Rudiak-Gould wrote:
> Jon Fairbairn wrote:
>
>  >In ghci you get:
>  >
>  >[1*** Exception: <<loop>>
>  >
>  >which is better.
>
> Not much better, though: in my experience this particular
> exception leaves ghci in a very peculiar state, and it's
> usually necessary to quit and restart it before it will
> work again.

I don't think I've seen such a problem (maybe I so rarely
make that type of mistake?;-). What version? What are the
symptoms of this not working of which you speak? It seems
OK in ghci 6.2.1

> Is it coincidence that both Hugs and GHCi have trouble
> handling dependency loops, or is it a very difficult
> problem that both have given up on solving?

It's not difficult per se, but it may be difficult to do
without performance implications, and compiler hackers are
always terribly protective of their performance...

  Jón

Jón Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk