[Haskell-cafe] Re: Are handles garbage-collected?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sun Oct 24 10:19:54 EDT 2004

Remi Turk writes:

 >> Assuming I could _not_ use 'bracket', 'withFile',
 >> 'finally' or any of the other usual scope-guarding
 >> techniques [...]

 > Refactoring comes to the mind... ;)

I wish that were possible! I use bracket-style resource
allocation wherever I can, but in this case the Handle is
the _result_ of a rather complex computation, so it has to
leave the scope in which is was opened. A finalizer is all I
can use.

 >                 performGC

That is the function I was looking for.

Well, it's actually not at all the function I was looking
for, but given the circumstances, it seems to be the only
solution. Alternatives are highly sought after, though!

Peter