[Haskell-cafe] How to hold common data

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Thu May 13 11:59:08 EDT 2004

At 16:09 12/05/04 +0000, scott west wrote:
>Hello all,
>    I'm new to haskell and was just wondering if there was any efficient
> or standard way to store and modify some sort of state data. The
> functional nature of haskell has me confused in this respect! Basically
> what I want to achieve is an interactive program that allows you to edit
> some tables, and thus hold some data. I dont' need to be spoonfed an
> answer, but a general guideline would be very helpful :) Thanks for any
> help you could provide!

Have you looked at using a state monad?

I recommend the following paper.  I found it a very useful and motivating
introduction to monads:

Simon Peyton-Jones and John Launchbury, State in Haskell, linked from:
http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/Papers/papers.html#monads,
document at:
http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/Papers/state-lasc.ps.gz, also
at: http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~jl/Papers/stateThreads.ps.

(I have some other Haskell references that I found useful when learning
Haskell over the past year, at
http://www.ninebynine.org/Links.html#Programming-Haskell .)

#g