[Haskell-cafe] Partially-applied type synonyms?

Chung-chieh Shan ccshan at post.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 31 13:00:44 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-31T09:55:10-0700, Lyle Kopnicky wrote:
> Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear.  I'm not defining PI, it's the
> standard type binding operator, like lambda is the variable binding
> operator.  Maybe I could write it as 'II' so it looks more like a
> capital pi.  It's not a feature of Haskell, but part of type theory
> (dependent types).  I was mixing and matching and making it look like
> Haskell.  So instead of 'PI r -> ContT r m', I could write 'flip ContT',
> except that 'flip' needs to work on a type level instead of a value
> level.  Or I could write '(`ContT` m)', or 'ContT _ m', where the '_' is
> a hole.  Does this make sense now?

Yes, it makes sense now.  You need to define

    newtype FlipContT m r a = FlipContT (ContT r m a)

or more generally,

    newtype Flip c (m :: * -> *) r a = Flip (c r m a)

The rationale for disallowing matching partially-applied type synonyms
is that higher-order unification is undecidable.

See also:

Neubauer, Matthias, and Peter Thiemann. 2002.  Type classes with
more higher-order polymorphism.  In ICFP '02: Proceedings of the ACM
international conference on functional programming. New York: ACM Press.
http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~neubauer/papers/icfp02.pdf
http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~neubauer/papers/icfp02.ps.gz

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig