[Haskell-cafe] Re: file upload with Network.CGI

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Aug 27 06:34:51 EDT 2004

Glynn Clements writes:

 > About the only functions in Network.CGI which might be
 > useful for processing file uploads are getQueryString and
 > getCgiVars, neither of which are exported.

Fortunately, another reader of this list has written the
necessary parsers already and sent me a copy of the code via
e-mail; so the file-upload problem is solved for now. I've
essentially replaced Network.CGI with his code in my
application altogether.

 > This seems to be a common problem with Haskell libraries,
 > i.e. define lots of useful low-level functions, use them
 > to create a high-level interface (which typically isn't
 > as useful as the author assumes), then only export the
 > high-level interface.

Yes, the Network.CGI library is particularly weird in that
regard. The 'wrapper' API comes with several rather severe
limitations: the hard-coded list of supported 'cgiVarNames',
for example. I've also wondered why 'abort' isn't exported,
and so on ...

Peter