[Haskell-cafe] Re: Extensible Serialization class with type classes

Ralf Laemmel Ralf.Laemmel at cwi.nl
Thu Aug 26 20:02:38 EDT 2004

[redirected to Haskell-cafe from ghc...]

I think the point is not to define your class Seriliazer,
but to define it as a generic function instead. After all,
it is kind of show (because it is serialisation).

Reading your
earlier emails, it seems a remaining problem is to keep
this function somewhat open as to allow to special cases
afterwards. This is a nice topic. Here we go.

The normal serialisation function with a serialisation result
Q is of such a type

serialise :: Data a => a -> Q

Internally such a function would be probably defined by
recursion such as

serialise = ... gmapQ serialise ...

In fact, some types would already be subject to special cases.
So we have

serialise = generic_case `extQ` specific_case1 `extQ` specific_case2 ...
 where
  generic_case = ... gmapQ serialise ...
  specific_case1 = ... % do something for my favourite type

This is exactly the code skeleton of show.

Now the question is how to make the whole business extensible.

I normally do this with a type as follows:

extensible_serialise :: Data a => (forall b. Data b => b -> Maybe Q) ->
a -> Q

That is, there is an extra parameter for the type specific cases to
be ruled from the outside. Note the Maybe. Here, Nothing means that a
specific type is not handled by the parameter, so the normal serialise
has to be applied.

Regarding your other problem, optional types, this seems to be solvable
as well.
Again, *don't* define this class

class XSDType a with
 where xsdType :: a -> String
       xsdNS :: a -> String

...but rather define a generic function, this time is nothing but
a type case of type

 forall x. Typeable x => x -> Maybe (String, String)

Hope it helps.

Conclusion: don't use classes, rather use generic functions.

Ralf