[Haskell-cafe] Closed Classes

MR K P SCHUPKE k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Aug 13 04:23:32 EDT 2004

>Informally, what I see as the defining rule for "closed world" is:

But that would break existing programs. You would need a language extension
so the feature could be selectively enabled. There are plenty of proposals
for how to do this (from closed class keywords to 'kind' statements)...

I think however that you can get the benefits of better improvement
rules without going all the way to a closed world. My question in the
last post was: what if we assume an open world whilst type-checking and
generating function type signatures, but assume closed world when resolving
instances?

	Keean.