[Haskell-cafe] Newbie: Is it possible to catch _|_ ?

Matthew Walton matthew at alledora.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 16:41:36 EDT 2004

Isn't Happy [1] a bottom-up parser generator in the style of yacc?

[1] http://www.haskell.org/happy/

As for parsing yacc's input files, if you can come up with an EBNF
grammar for it that avoids some of the nasty recursion possibilities [2]
then I can't see why you couldn't parse it with Parsec or some other
parsing library. Or even with a parser written using Happy.

Parsec's not that bad really, but the HuttonMeijerWallace one is easier
if you start off with those and move to Parsec if you need a more
powerful solution. But I may be biased as I'm a former student of Graham
Hutton's.

With all the choices available though there's not much point writing
your own unless you've got very unusual requirements, something new to
bring to the table, or you like the challenge.

So I would definitely recommend HuttonMeijerWallace or Parsec if you're
wanting to parse something. It's possible Happy-generated parsers run
faster, but I don't really know and I was quite content with Parsec's
speed when I used it in my final-year project. Not that it was parsing
anything particularly huge at the time.

Matthew

[1] http://www.haskell.org/happy/
[2] the proper terms for which I can't remember, but I seem to recall
that left recusion is one of the nasty ones