collection library in Haskell

Alexandru D. Salcianu salcianu at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 20 17:18:28 EST 2003

Can somebody recommend me a good collection library in Haskell?

I'm interested in more than one Set implementation, one FiniteMap
implementation etc. (we already have this in the standard Haskell'98

What I'm searching for is a library where I have the Set, FiniteMap
etc. specifications (i.e., typeclasses), and several implementations
(i.e., instances) for them.  E.g., we can have a list-based
implementation of Set (for small sets), but also a tree-based
implementation (for larger sets).

So, I would like a library with something like this

   -- sa is a type corresponding to sets of a's
   -- requires multi-parameter typeclasses
   class (Eq a) => Set a sa where
     addSetElem :: sa -> a -> sa    -- add an element to a set
     searchElem :: sa -> a -> Bool  -- search an element in a set

   -- list based Set implementation
   instance (Eq a) => Set a [a] where

   -- ordered-tree Set implementation
   instance (Ord a) => Set a (OrdTree a) where

and so on.

Furthermore, I'm interested in a library that can be compiled /
interpreted by a mainstream tool, e.g., ghc, hugs etc.  I've already
started writting such a library (mainly for didactic purposes), but I
would like to know if an enstablished collection library already