Another fold question

Thomas L. Bevan thomas_bevan at
Fri Nov 7 07:34:51 EST 2003

I stand corrected

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 06:39 pm, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 03:41:32PM +1100, Thomas L. Bevan wrote:
> > patty,
> >
> > what you have written is not a fold. A fold operates over a list. There
> > is no list in your code, only some sort of tree structure.
> I think you are wrong. Folds are not restricted to lists and lists are
> also "some sort of tree structure".
> See
> Best regards,
> Tom

It is inconceivable that a judicious observer from another solar system
would see in our species -- which has tended to be cruel, destructive,
wasteful, and irrational -- the crown and apex of cosmic evolution.
Viewing us as the culmination of *anything* is grotesque; viewing us
as a transitional species makes more sense -- and gives us more hope.
- Betty McCollister, "Our Transitional Species",
  Free Inquiry magazine, Vol. 8, No. 1
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
Haskell-Cafe at