Powerset

Christian Maeder maeder@tzi.de
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:53:16 +0200

powerset :: [a] -> [[[a]]]
powerset [] = [[[]]]
powerset (x:xs) = [[]] : myzip x (powerset xs)

myzip x [a] = [map (x:) a]
myzip x (a:b) = (map (x:) a ++ head b) : myzip x b

I suggest the above version for a sorted powerset. The result keeps a
further nesting of lists for subsets of the same length. (Flatten this
list with "concat".)

Call "length (concat (powerset [1..19]))" (on Hugs).

Christian