Help: writing ffi bindings to a C library

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley@ldn.invesco.com
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:58:07 +0100

Yes, I had considered this (writing an abstraction layer in C). I have
decided initially to try doing it in Haskell, because I thought that Haskell
would be a better choice for writing abstraction layers (not as verbose as
C). The idea was to write the Haskell-C bindings at as low a level as
possible (i.e. directly to the OCI libraries), and then build up from there.
Although the bindings may be ugly, I thought it would have been easier to
build higher layers in Haskell rather than C.

However, if you think it's probably better to build the first layer in C,
then I'll do that.

Getting back to my question, can I use functions that take twice-deref'ed
pointers as args? This is a function that effectively returns some of its
work in "out" arguments e.g. a C function like this:

    int someCFunction(SomeType **ptrptr, int i)

(It would create an opaque structure and point *ptrptr at it. If it fails
then it would return a negative value.)

Is it simply a case of declaring it like this (in ghc):

> data SomeType
> type SomeTypeRef = Ptr SomeType
> foreign import ccall "blah.h someCFunction" someCFunction :: Ptr
SomeTypeRef -> Int -> Int

Or must C functions that are to be called from Haskell return results only
in the return value?