Can't compile hmake

Thomas Davie tatd100@student.cs.york.ac.uk
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:55:23 +0100

On Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003, at 10:19 Europe/London, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> Thomas Davie <tatd100@cs.york.ac.uk> writes:
>
>>    I'm just trying to get started with haskell and have been having
>> some
>> problems getting hmake to compile.  For some reason it doesn't detect
>> libreadline.  FYI, I'm running Mac OS X.2.6
>>
>> Has anyone got any ideas for where I could go from here?
>
> Yes, after configuring, try editing the generated config file as
> follows:
> In targets/`harch`/config, change the line
>     READLINE=""
>     READLINE="-DUSE_READLINE=1 -L/sw/lib/ -lreadline"
> then proceed to 'make' as usual.
>
> I'll try to put some better detection code into the configure script
> for the next release of hmake.

Unfortunately I'm still having trouble, it seems to be picking up the
library fine now, but missing the header:
I am currently using the command
./configure --buildopts="-L/sw/lib/ -lreadline -I/sw/include/ -include
readline/readline.h -DUSE_READLINE=1"
to configure, then editing the config.cache file - I have tried the
exact text you specified and also this:
READLINE="-DUSE_READLINE=1 -L/sw/lib/ -lreadline -I/sw/include/
-include readline/readline.h"
But still with no joy.  I'm currently getting this error:

gcc: readline/readline.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: ***
[/Users/tatd100/Desktop/project/hmake-3.08/lib/powerpc-Darwin6/MkProg]
Error 1
make: *** [targets/powerpc-Darwin6/hmake-ghc] Error 2

The header file is in the directory
/sw/include/readline/

Any further ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks