Debugging

David Roundy droundy@jdj5.mit.edu
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:47:04 -0400

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 05:27:11PM +0200, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> My Haskell experiments have reached a size in which debugging tools would
> be more than welcome, so I looked around, and was very disappointed. I
> tried Hood, which is a pain to use (lots of editing of the code
> required), I looked at Buddha but didn't want to downgrade to GHC 5 for
> trying it (nor is my code Haskell 98, because of multi-parameter
> classes), and all that seems left to try is Hat, whose Web site I can't
> reach at the moment.
>
> So what are you Haskell programmers using for debugging in real life?

I mostly just use Debug.Trace, which is basically like the printf method of
debugging in C/C++ (which is what I usually use in those languages).  It's
not very elegant, but generally gets the job done.  The other debugging
tool (in a sense) I use is ghc's profiling, which I find helpful for
figuring out scaling problems.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/