state of FRP

nilsson@cs.yale.edu nilsson@cs.yale.edu
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 14:51:56 -0400

Dear Isaac,

> I'm interested in learning more about Functional Reactive Programming
> since I want to be a better designer of Haskell programs.  I don't
> want to use it for animation or GUIs in particular, but as a general
> design paradigm.

Cool!

You might want to take a look at Yampa. That's our latest implementation of
the FRP paradigm:

    www.haskell.org/yampa

(Yampa used to be called AFRP, and that name is still used in the source
code in the present 0.9.1 release.)

The release bundle does include a tutorial that was part of the Advanced
Summer School on Functional Programming held in Oxford last summer.

You might also be interested in some of our other publications, see

    http://www.haskell.org/yale/publications.html

In particular "Functional Reactive Programming, Continued" covers some
of the more advanced aspects of Yampa that the tutorial does not get to.

> haskell.org/frp mentions an frp library that will exist one day.  The
> manual looks interesting and this seems like it would be a good place
> to start, but Yale FRP is, alas, not yet available.

This refers to an old implementation and a rather different style of FRP
from that of Yampa. There is longer any active support for that
implementation.

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

/Henrik