Ground Up

Konst Sushenko konsu@microsoft.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:39:27 -0800

a word from a beginner (with a CS background):

Alternatively, just do not use compiler specific features in your
programs and this will make your programs work with different compilers.

I went away from Lisp because there are no types. someone said once that
Lisp is a sort of intermediate language that many people happen to like
to program in. an assembly language of sorts.

I went away from ML because once I got a taste of laziness, having my
parameters evaluated before my function is called started to upset me
;-), and also I do not like that I have to use tuples in ML's datatypes.
At least I did not find a way to not use them...

But then of course one starts seeing all these problems with expressions
taking too much heap space when writing programs of considerable size...

But then using a purely functional language will teach you to forget
trying to change a tuple or anything else in place (although I saw
libraries in GHC that can change arrays, etc, in-place but I never used
them), which is helpful I believe because it gives a different
perspective on writing code.

konst