Editor Tab Expansion

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 18:36:22 -0800

At 2002-12-05 15:34, Andrew J Bromage wrote:

>> Wether spaces or tabs are better in source files is a matter of taste and
>> a language should not force me to use one or another.
>
>The language does not force you to do anything of the sort.  It's your
>editor's fault if it can't decouple the concept of hitting the tab
>key from the concept of putting a ^I character in your file.

Haven't we all been through this argument several months ago? I believe
the conclusion was "people have different preferences, and Haskell allows
for that".

Certainly when I write my own Haskell I like to use tabs, real ones, to
indent. And I can easily outdent by using the backspace key, once, which
will cleanly delete exactly one tab. I'll have no truck with Haskell's
"layout" and its picky interpretations of whitespace. Luckily for people
like me there's braces and semicolons, which let you ignore this layout
nonsense entirely.

YMMV, of course.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA