Pickling

John Meacham john@repetae.net
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 16:37:21 -0700

I also have done some work on a set of classes which will let you read
in and write out XDR encoded data, (as is used in NFS and other rpc
protocols) in a hopefully efficient manner. I am working on figuring out
how to modify DrIFT to auto-derive instances of it. the near-term goal
is an nfs server written in haskell (for a virtual filesystem) as well
as an efficient on-disk format for data.
	Another side effect of this work is that the code also
generates a unique hash which is only dependant on the type of the
encoded data, the idea being that I can tag the beginning of on-disk
data with it and have some degree of insured type-safety.
	John