Here is a tiny idea for a QT based GUI library

Eray Ozkural (exa)
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:23:30 +0200

Hi Simon,

On Tuesday 13 November 2001 14:47, Simon Marlow wrote:
> The point Manuel was making is that it takes a lot of time & effort to
> code up the Haskell binding to the C libraries.  Just having a way to
> load up the interface from the XML spec isn't enough - you need a
> complete enough binding to be able to manipulate the interface from
> Haskell at run time.  This is not a GTK vs. Qt argument.
> We *have* most of a GTK+ binding and it would be a shame to divide our
> efforts when said efforts are in short supply.  When we have one
> complete GUI binding, then let's think about making another one.

I don't mean to divert any mindshare :)

The fact is that these features have just been available, and if there are
interested hackers it should now be possible to create a haskell interface
for qt/kde. Previously, it wasn't possible; especially since it was too
difficult to co-operate with C++ code. The C bindings is good news for those
would like to call KDE functions from their haskell code.

On a sidenote, the C bindings were generated with a hacked version of "kdoc",
which is the C++/IDL documentation system used in KDE project. It might be
possible to autogenerate haskell bindings for QT using this compiler, sort of
like what gtk-- wants to achieve (but cannot ;)

- --
Eray Ozkural (exa) <>
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see