Here is a tiny idea for a QT based GUI library

Simon Marlow simonmar@microsoft.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:47:02 -0000

>=20
> On Tuesday 13 November 2001 06:18, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
> > The time consuming part in creating such a system are the C
> > bindings, not the XML stuff.  In fact, similar functionality
> > is available for GTK+ already for a long while.  The cool
> > point about it is that the graphical interface builder Glade
> >
> >   http://glade.gnome.org/
> >
> > can generate these XML files, which you just load into your
> > application using a library called libglade (that
> > corresponds to the QWidgetFactory that you mention above).
> > I guess, KDE's interface builder can do the same.
> >
>=20
> Yes, I know. I used to be a poor GTK+ coder myself. :) I'm a konvert.
>=20
> The C bindings are already available, so you can just use=20
> them it seems.

The point Manuel was making is that it takes a lot of time & effort to
code up the Haskell binding to the C libraries.  Just having a way to
load up the interface from the XML spec isn't enough - you need a
complete enough binding to be able to manipulate the interface from
Haskell at run time.  This is not a GTK vs. Qt argument.

We *have* most of a GTK+ binding and it would be a shame to divide our
efforts when said efforts are in short supply.  When we have one
complete GUI binding, then let's think about making another one.

Cheers,
	Simon