Biggest Haskell unit in the world

Hamilton Richards hrichrds@swbell.net
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 22:32:35 -0500

At 7:57 PM -0500 6/25/01, you wrote:

>BTW I teach a "programming languages" course which includes an
>introduction to Haskell and an introduction to parsing and compiling.
>The students modify an interpreter that I wrote.  The complete Haskell
>source for the language (simple block structured imperative language
>with a single integer daya type) is only 600 lines, of which about half
>is the parser. This compares favourably with a similar toy compiler in
>C++ that was used before I took over the course --- it ran to well over
>5000 lines!

That's very interesting to me, since I, too, teach a programming languages
course which includes an intro to Haskell and to parsing. An interpreter
for an imperative language would pull a lot of topics nicely together.

Do your students know any Haskell coming into the course, or is your
introduction to Haskell their first taste of it?

Does the imperative language include procedures? With what methods of
binding arguments to parameters? What sort of modifications can the
students manage?

Thanks,

--Ham

Hamilton Richards, PhD           Department of Computer Sciences
Senior Lecturer                  Mail Code C0500
512-471-9525                     The University of Texas at Austin
Taylor Hall 5.138                Austin, Texas 78712-1188
ham@cs.utexas.edu                hrichrds@swbell.net