Learning Haskell and FP

Fritz K Ruehr fruehr@willamette.edu
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:55:17 -0800 (PST)

Benjamin Russell (russell@brainlink.com) wrote:

> Personally, I would really prefer "A Gentle Elementary
> Introduction to Haskell: Elements of the Haskell School of
> Expression with Practical Examples," but some would no doubt
> choose "Haskell in a Nutshell:  How to Write Practical Programs
> in Haskell."

An O'Reilly "nutshell" book is an even better suggestion than
my "Design Patterns in Haskell" of a few days back, at least
from the perspective of marketing and promotion.

But it raises the issue of an appropriate animal mascot for
the cover; I can only come up with the Uakari, an exotic-looking
rainforest monkey, which sounds similar to "Curry".

(look here for a picture:)

	<http://www.animalsoftherainforest.com/uakari.htm>

One possibly relevant point: the site notes that the Uakari is
"mainly arboreal (tree-dwelling)". On the other hand, this means
that it is probably threatened by deforestation, whereas this
phenomenon can be of great help in Haskell :) .

  --  Fritz Ruehr
      fruehr@willamette.edu