Just for your fun and horror

Matthias Felleisen matthias@rice.edu
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:24:50 -0600 (CST)

Yes, students must cross the bridge. But the name 'return' may
make it more difficult than necessary to cross the bridge. I
conjecture that the students of our French friend are just the
tip of the iceberg.

All functional programmers have problems selling our ware to
such people. Haskell could have benefited from using a word such
as

 produce 10

to say that a function produces a 10 and a store or whatever. It
could have driven home the point home. Faking to be C or Java
is confusing and may create a backlash. Just admit you're different
-- and better.

We Schemers have different problems.

-- Matthias