Haskell Programming Environment

Jan Skibinski jans@numeric-quest.com
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:28:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, =?ISO-8859-2?Q? Pawe=B3?= Kot wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm writing my master thesis. Its subject is 'Haskell Programming
> Environment'. It is (or rather will be) an extended text editor working in
> graphical (XFree86) environment designed for Haskell programmers. It will be
> implemented using Fudgets library.
> I'm wondering what features would you like to find in such environment. What
> should be neccessary, what would help, what would make writing programs
> easier, etc.
> I have some concepts, but I would like to hear some suggestions from you.

	A module/class/instance/library browser perhaps?
	Acquiring its information from standard libraries
	and other user defined directories?  Extracting comments,
	module comments, class comments, and implementation
	details to present them in some consistent way? Supporting
	incremental compilation, a'la hmake? With intelligent use of
	colorization, or other useful hints for programmers,
	for a start? Intelligent inspectors?

	In short - something that exists for ages in Smalltalk,
	or in Eiffel development environment, but with Haskell's
	extra capabilities, limitations and goals in view?

	I once did something of this sort for Java:
	+ Java browser for Xcoral editor - in C
	+ Bongo based class hierarchy browser - in Java
	You can find more about it on our web pages.

	Jan