GHCi, Hugs (was: Mixture ...)

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:04:46 +0000

Koen Claessen wrote:

> Another thing that worries me is that Hugs will die. Not
> only because I like Hugs a lot, but also that it is yet
> another Haskell system that is dying. Soon we will just have
> GHC and NHC left. (I have to consider HBC as dead by now,
> since nobody is fixing bug reports.)
>
> I know of nobody who is starting to implement a Haskell
> compiler from scratch. What do people think: is this
> a worrying situation?

Yes.
But not the fact that this or that implementation of Haskell dies.
Inchaa Allah, we are all mortal...
It is the question of having offsprings. Gofer generated Hugs.
HBC - perhaps - incited Lennart to work on exotic spices.

I suspect very strongly that something is germinating. Perhaps
something interesting (and faster than actual Haskell) will come
up from the cross-breeding between H. and Clean?

And, anyway, the success of Gofer and Hugs proves *ONCE MORE*
that interpreters of a serious language (forget the interpreters
of C...) are always badly needed, if only for pedagogical purposes.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk