[GUI] GUIs and events/callbacks.

Axel Simon A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:51:29 +0000

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:45:05AM +0100, Nick Name wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:27:29 +0100
> Daan Leijen <daanleijen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

> >  Just for the record: this is *not* true for most (all?) event
> >  based implementations as they are *not* concurrent (at least not
> >  pre-emptively concurrent).
>
> Ok, and that's why I can't be left alone doing something serious ;)
> Sorry about this!
Right now Daan comment is surely right. But a programmer has to be aware
of it. You could still fork a process that eventually disconnects the
callback and you can expect that the Haskell runtime system does continue
to run concurrently with the GUI, either due to OS threads or to some hack
("idleAdd priorityNormal (yield >> return True)" in Gtk). But yes, it is
probably enough to make the user aware of these things.

Axel.