[GUI] GUIs and events/callbacks.

Nick Name nick.name@inwind.it
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:28:59 +0100

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 16:01:40 +0000
Axel Simon <A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk> wrote:

>   I'd like to remind everyone that we are really aiming for mid-level
>  complexity. It should be possible to implement high-level approaches
>  like Fudgets or Fran on top of CGA, as such, making streams and other
>  concepts mandatory is probably wrong.

Yes, but there's no issue in using a simple structure similar to my Var
or M.Chackravarty's Port as the local state handler for widgets, and
getting streams for free, without renouncing to callbacks and
reading/writing the state, and all the usual imperative features.

Besides, I don't see the point in considering streams such an "high
level" abstraction: we have GetContents in the prelude, for example!
Streams with explicit handling of the contained values are not FRAN,
they are an usual abstraction in lazy functional programming, at least
it's what I have always thought.

Vincenzo