[GUI] GUIs and events/callbacks.

Axel Simon A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 16:01:40 +0000

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 04:48:29PM +0100, Nick Name wrote:
> Don't say this is too complicate now, it might be simpler than it seems,
> and streams are important if we aren't going to turn haskell code into
> purely imperative programming. (this will follow in the other opened
> thread, of course :)).
 I'd like to remind everyone that we are really aiming for mid-level
complexity. It should be possible to implement high-level approaches like
Fudgets or Fran on top of CGA, as such, making streams and other concepts
mandatory is probably wrong.

I do not oppose having this syncronizing abstraction, but it would be
great if it can be a little extension independant of the widget
implementation.  Isn't it possible to create a function syncOn such that
it takes a callback, a user function and then waits till the callback is
triggered?  Isn't this just a matter of a) adding the user function and an
"exit main loop" call to the callback handler and b) running the main
loop and removing the callback?

Hope I understand this issue,
Axel.