[GUI] Common GUI API : What would the code look like?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements@virgin.net
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 05:19:54 +0000

Nick Name wrote:

> > 1. Widgets aren't being given names. This makes it impossible to refer
> >  to them from outside of the code. It also eliminates the possibility
> >  of implementing a useable Xt (e.g. Motif) backend. Toolkits which
> >  don't name widgets can just ignore the name.
>
> Apart from the fact that I would like names for widget as an added
> comfort, why do you have to name widget to implement them in Xt?
> Couldn't you just use a unique string generator and wrap the names into
> an ADT? I apologize if the question is stupid.

Well by "useable" [sic], I meant the ability to use resource files,
-xrm, Editres etc. Yes, you could implement an Xt backend, but using
automatically-generated widget names would significantly reduce its
functionality.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>