[GUI] Mission Statement + Widgets

Nick Name nick.name@inwind.it
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 22:11:55 +0100

>  The Win32 port of GTK+ and gnome was a complete
>  afterthought of these libraries.  In this case, the
>  core library interface didn't change at all and was
>  ported to windows quickly.

Gtk/win32 has NOT native look and feel. Mistakes like the one of gtk are
what we are hoping to avoid. Suppose you want the feature "applications
running in the bottom bar" (say systray).  You implement it just for
win32, and then... you have no way to implement the functionality in
Xaw, at least not without adding a panel to the Xaw environment, thus
forcing a look and feel that is not native.

I guess this is what other people mean when they speak about native look
and feel, and the necessity of having a good number of backends in mind
when designing the interface.

Vincenzo