[GUI] Mission Statement + Widgets

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller@gmx.net
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 20:49:03 +0100

David Sankel wrote:

> I would tend to agree with you except for the enormous
> number of counter-examples:
>
> Qt/Mac was introduced after Qt version 3.0 came out.
> Qt was used for years before the mac port was even
> conceptualized.  The API did not change drastically
> with the addition of the macintosh platform. (change
> from rightclick to contextmenu memberfunctions was
> about the only api change).

And applications that use Qt/Mac achieve native look, but not native
feel. Qt programs use nested MDI windows on MacOS (which just shouldn't
be...). If the API wasn't changed, programs _cannot_ manage the MacOS
menu bar properly. The menu bar is not a property of a window, but of
the application. I thought that the common agreement was to strive for
a suitable abstraction that covers up the conceptual differences. In
order to know if that works, we need to look at several platforms from
the start.

Cheers,

Wolfgang