Portable GUI levels (was: Re: [GUI] Re: Gtk and Object I/O)

Glynn Clements glynn.clements@virgin.net
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:35:54 +0000

Nick Name wrote:

> >  For me this sounds like inventing another X protocol. This would be
> >  just beyond our (time) resources and acutal needs.
> >
> >  Axel.
>
> Oh, I didn't notice that the private answer was just a CC. In short, I
> answered Axel privately about UIML, wich perhaps someone can find of
> interest; here are three links:
>
>  http://www.uiml.org
>
>  http://luxor-xul.sourceforge.net/
>
>  http://kuimlrenderer.sourceforge.net

This looks similar to UIL, which has been a standard part of Motif for
many years.

However, such an approach wouldn't actually save us anything.
Sometimes it's necessary to generate interfaces programmatically (e.g.
an HTML browser needs to be able to generate forms), so ultimately we
would still need a programmatic interface for creating and placing
widgets.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>