Portable GUI levels (was: Re: [GUI] Re: Gtk and Object I/O)

Axel Simon A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 17:05:42 +0000

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 02:29:29PM +0100, Daan Leijen wrote:
> What I am proposing is to use Port as a concrete proposal for how
> the (L) interface should look like. Not that Port is complete, or "just
> right",
> but because it exists, is still quite small, has implementations on top of
> both
> GTK and Windows, and seems suitable for implementing an (A) library (i.e.
> GIO).
Because gtk2hs exists and is availabe on all three platforms, everybody
gets the benefit of a complete, professional interface right now, so
everyone should accept it as standard and not mourn about the slight
differences in UI appearnce :-)

I think existance is not a very good argument. I would like to define the
portable library with techniques of the Object I/O and let everyone who
has a backend (or is willing to write one) participate in its creation.

Basically this is what I proposed as a reply to Simon PJ.

Axel.