[GUI] Proposal Proposal: haskell-gui addendum to haskell standard

Nick Name nick.name@inwind.it
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:25:43 +0100

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:11:45 -0800
Bryn Keller <brk@jenkon.com> wrote:

>  If we're going to pick one GUI toolkit, I'd recommend Qt or
>  wxWindows, both of which try to blend in with whatever OS they're on.

I hope I am not the one who's concerned with free software on this
mailing list, but qt is not free in its windows edition. I can't write a
GPL'ed software and tell my users to download a non free library to run
the program.

On the other side, wxwindows is C++, it's difficult to bind to haskell.

However, in my post I did not mean "do it with gtk or die". Absolutely.
I meant "if we design an high level interface, we already have a
portable low level binding to use as a first backend, so the backend is
not an immediate concern".

If gtk2 is still bad on windows, someone interested will do a binding
for the windows API and implement a backend for the high level
interface. And also a macos lover will do a binding and a backend for
quartz.
This can be done simultaneously to the main work, there are many windows
haskellers I see, but on unix-like systems we already have a good job
wich should not be thrown away.

Besides, qt is implemented in a language wich supercedes C++, I don't
think it would be easy to make an haskell binding for that.

Vincenzo

--
Teatri vuoti e inutili potrebbero affollarsi
se tu ti proponessi di recitare te