[GUI] Proposal Proposal: haskell-gui addendum to haskell standard

Bryn Keller brk@jenkon.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:11:45 -0800

Nick Name wrote:
> In both cases, don't forget that the gtk and gtk2 bindings are in an
> advanced state, and they already handle signals. I guess that those
> would be the first two "platforms" onto wich implement the library.
>
> Also, remember that both gtk and gtk2 are available on windows, macos,
> linux and freebsd.

In my experience, Gtk is not a realistic choice on Windows. Perhaps the
situation has changed drastically for Gtk2 (I haven't looked), but Gtk
1.x apps don't look anything like Windows apps, are buggy, and behave
badly (one example I remember: bring up a menu on you Gtk app, alt-tab
to another application - now the menu from you Gtk app will be floating
by itself (and clickable!) over the windows app).

If we're going to pick one GUI toolkit, I'd recommend Qt or wxWindows,
both of which try to blend in with whatever OS they're on.

Regards,

Bryn