Resource Files (Was: Re: [GUI] More points for the technical discussion)

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller@gmx.net
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 23:25:33 +0100

On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 09:58 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> User-visible text doesn't belong in the source code. On Windows, the
> label text normally lives in the resource (.rc) file; with Xt-based
> toolkits (Athena, Motif), it belongs in the app-defaults file.
>
> Generally, you only set widget properties programmatically if you have
> to (i.e. because the values are determined dynamically).

Agreed. However, the general consensus (correct me if I'm wrong) seems
to be that we shouldn't use platform-specific resource files.
When we have an API for programmatical creation of the UI, we can
implement a library for  platform-independent resource files on top of
that.

Cheers,

Wolfgang