"... causes overflow in R_X86_... relocation"

Volker Wysk post at volker-wysk.de
Sat Oct 17 15:49:39 UTC 2020

Am Samstag, den 17.10.2020, 15:20 +0200 schrieb David Kraeutmann:
> Relocation is part of the linking process. Specifically, external
> function calls must be given a real run-time address instead of some
> placeholder.
>
> R_X86_64_32 is a particular type of relocation, where the relocation
> address is a 32-bit field.

I understand now.

> I believe this might be caused by Qtah being built without -fPIC.

This is managed by Cabal. I see no easy way to rebuild it with -fPIC. Cloning
the sources from Gitlab and doing the full build would probably be overkill.

I've mailed Bryan Gardiner, the author of Qtah with a brief description of
what is wrong. I'll do a full bug report, when requested.

Maybe I'll switch to WxHaskell.

Cheers,
Volker